Chestnut Ready-to-Fruit 3lb Block
Out of stock
This product may take up to 3 weeks to ship but most of the time will ship immediately or in 1-2 weeks. Please be aware of the lag before ordering. You will get an email with tracking 1 day before shipping, if you need to delay the order contact MMM ASAP to reschedule the order ship date.
Please see below the instructions for considerations about home grown food products and mushroom spores.
Instructions for use:
This information is specific to Chestnut Mushrooms.
- Check your block upon arrival to make sure there are no tears or signs of mold from shipping. If the block has broken into pieces during shipping, gently press the block together and let sit 4-7 days undisturbed (ideally in the dark) before moving to step 2.
- Slice a 1-2″ slit into the bag or a 1″ “X” into the side of the block. Be careful not to cut into the block itself and just cut the plastic.
- Fold down the top of the bag and deflate the block, tape the top down so that there is minimal room between the block and plastic except where the cut was made. If there are trapped mushroom ‘pins’ under the plastic, consider making the cut so they can grow out.
- Place the Ready-to-Fruit block in the most humid part of your home (not in direct sunlight) or in a grow chamber or grow tent. The kitchen is a good household place in lieu of a dedicated fruiting chamber. Chestnut Mushrooms fruit best between 60-70°F.
Search online for easy to make fruiting chambers: monotubs, shot gun fruiting chambers (SGFCs) and tents with foggers/humidifiers are all great options and will likely increase success in fruiting and producing healthy fruits. Even a trash bag with plenty of holes can be used to increase humidity!
- 2X daily (or more if your environment is dry) spritz the plastic with filtered/distilled water where the cut was made and look for mushroom “pins”. These are the start of mushrooms! Pins should take ~1-4 weeks to develop from the time of opening the bag.
- Continue to mist the fruits and plastic while they grow. Chestnut Mushrooms are usually ready to harvest 5-10 days after pins form and should be harvested before the caps flatten out or become concave for tastiest results and best storage. See below images for an example of when to harvest. Figure 1: The mushrooms could go another 12-24 hours before harvesting in this photo but will be more tender. Figure 2: A perfect time to harvest! Photos of fruits grown by Brian from MMM Chestnut culture.
- Cut the mushroom cluster from the block and enjoy for your next meal!
- Soak the block in fresh, cold, distilled/filtered water for 1-6 hours while inside the bag (pour into the opening) and then drain.
- Put block back into fruiting conditions, you should get at least 1 more “flush” of mushrooms from the block. If pins do not form at the cut site, consider opening the plastic at the site of the largest set of pins for subsequent flushes and sealing the original site with tape.
*CAUTIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS:
IF YOU PLAN ON CONSUMING YOUR HOME-GROWN MUSHROOMS MAKE SURE TO COOK THEM THOROUGHLY. IF IT IS YOUR FIRST TIME EATING THIS SPECIES, IT IS BEST TO START WITH A SMALL AMOUNT TO SEE HOW YOUR BODY RESPONDS!
MUSHROOMS PRODUCE SPORES AS THEY DEVELOP. THIS IS A NATURAL MEANS OF REPRODUCTION FOR THE FUNGUS. THEY USUALLY APPEAR AS A DUSTY SURFACE ON YOUR GROW KIT BENEATH THE MUSHROOM CAPS. PEOPLE WITH ALLERGIES OR COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEMS MAY WANT TO CONSIDER PUTTING FRUITING MUSHROOM KITS OUTDOORS OR IN A WELL-VENTILATED AREA AS AIRBORNE SPORES SOMETIMES CAUSE RESPIRATORY IRRITATION. SPORES MAY ALSO CAUSE IRRITATION FOR SOME NON-ALLERGIC OR IMMUNE COMPROMISED MUSHROOM GROWERS, THOUGH THIS IS RARE. HARVESTING MUSHROOMS WHILE STILL IN THEIR YOUNGER GROWTH STAGES WILL REDUCE THE OVERALL SPORE LOAD.
Everything i have gotten from mm has been absolutely on point!!!!
Fast shipping, easy to follow directions, and freebies! Growing these chestnuts was a great experience, and I got a beautiful first flush from them. Easy to grow in my conditions, and although the fruits took their sweet time, I got a huge yield. These mushrooms taste amazing. Thanks again for all your help!
When I placed my order for a fully colonized ready-to-fruit block of Chestnut Mushrooms from the Mushroom Man, I was doing so right at the mid-December Christmas shipping rush. I had low expectations about how quickly things would ship to me and had no idea that this vendor would go out of his way to ensure my order was sent out as quickly as possible at a time of year when he was probably totally jammed. I placed the order on a Friday, order shipped Saturday and was at my door the following Monday!!! No agonizing wait.. I don't know that I've ever had anything ship so fast. The fully colonized block arrived safely via USPS priority mail with tracking that's sent to your email. Everything was very well-packaged, clearly labeled, free of contams, and the package included glorious freebies and stickers! Easy-to-follow directions on the website make fruiting the mushrooms as easy as pie. In fact as I write this review the Chestnuts are pinning and looking absolutely glorious! This vendor provides a consistent VIP experience whether you're a first time buyer or back for the tenth time- you will never ever be disappointed when you order from the Mushroom Man. He's quick to answer any questions you may have and is truly awesome to work with. Can't wait to cook up these Chestnut Mushrooms! Thanks again!