Black Pearl Oyster Ready-to-Fruit 3lb Block
Out of stock
Pleurotus ostreatus var “Black Pearl”- This is a relatively new variety of oyster which is a cross between an Asian and European Pleurotus ostreatus. In higher CO2 conditions the stems become meaty and thick like a king oyster (see images below); however, this variety is much easier to fruit than king oyster. See what phenotypes you get and share with us!
Black Pearl Oyster fruits best between 60-70°F but can fruit in the 50’s.
Fruited from 50-60°F in modified monotub with King Oyster thick stem phenotype.
Same block as above but second flush, also fruited from 50-60°F in modified monotub with more of a canonical Oyster cluster phenotype.
d3dcomplx grew these King Oyster thick stem phenotype Black Pearl Oysters from a Ready-to-Fruit block
This product may take up to 3 weeks to ship but most of the time will ship immediately or in 1-2 weeks. Please be aware of the lag before ordering. You will get an email with tracking 1 day before shipping, if you need to delay the order contact MMM ASAP to reschedule the order ship date.
Please see below the instructions for considerations about home grown food products and mushroom spores.
Instructions for use:
This information is specific to Black Pearl Oyster.
- Check your block upon arrival to make sure there are no tears or signs of mold from shipping. If the block has broken into pieces during shipping, gently press the block together and let sit 3-5 days undisturbed before moving to step 2.
- Slice a 1-2″ slit into the bag or a 1″ “X” into the side of the block. Be careful not to cut into the block itself and just cut the plastic. If there are trapped mushroom ‘pins’ under the plastic, consider making the cut so they can grow out.
- Fold down the top of the bag and deflate the block, tape the top down so that there is minimal room between the block and plastic except where the cut was made.
- Place the Ready-to-Fruit block in the most humid part of your home (not in direct sunlight) or in a grow chamber or grow tent. The kitchen is a good household place in lieu of a dedicated fruiting chamber. Black Pearl Oyster fruits best between 60-75°F but can fruit in the 50’s.
Search online for easy to make fruiting chambers: monotubs, shot gun fruiting chambers (SGFCs) and tents with foggers/humidifiers are all great options and will likely increase success in fruiting and producing healthy fruits. Even a trash bag with plenty of holes can be used to increase humidity! If the Black Pearl Oysters are produced in a fruiting chamber with less air exchange, they will have large stems and small caps similar to a king oyster.
- 2X daily (or more if your environment is dry) spritz the plastic with filtered/distilled water where the cut was made and look for mushroom “pins”. These are the start of mushrooms! Pins should take ~1-2 weeks to develop from the time of opening the bag.
- Continue to mist the fruits and plastic while they grow. Black Pearl Oysters are usually ready to harvest 5-10 days after pins form and should be harvested before the caps flatten out or become concave for tastiest results (see below example- these were grown from 50-60°F in a modified monotub).
- Cut the mushroom cluster from the block and enjoy for your next meal!
- Soak the block in fresh, cold, distilled/filtered water for 1-6 hours while inside the bag (pour into the opening) and then drain
- Put block back into fruiting conditions, you should get at least 1 more “flush” of mushrooms from the block. If pins do not form at the cut site, consider opening the plastic at the site of the largest set of pins for subsequent flushes and sealing the original site with tape.
*CAUTIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS:
IF YOU PLAN ON CONSUMING YOUR HOME-GROWN MUSHROOMS MAKE SURE TO COOK THEM THOROUGHLY. IF IT IS YOUR FIRST TIME EATING THIS SPECIES, IT IS BEST TO START WITH A SMALL AMOUNT TO SEE HOW YOUR BODY RESPONDS!
MUSHROOMS PRODUCE SPORES AS THEY DEVELOP. THIS IS A NATURAL MEANS OF REPRODUCTION FOR THE FUNGUS. THEY USUALLY APPEAR AS A DUSTY SURFACE ON YOUR GROW KIT BENEATH THE MUSHROOM CAPS. PEOPLE WITH ALLERGIES OR COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEMS MAY WANT TO CONSIDER PUTTING FRUITING MUSHROOM KITS OUTDOORS OR IN A WELL-VENTILATED AREA AS AIRBORNE SPORES SOMETIMES CAUSE RESPIRATORY IRRITATION. SPORES MAY ALSO CAUSE IRRITATION FOR SOME NON-ALLERGIC OR IMMUNE COMPROMISED MUSHROOM GROWERS, THOUGH THIS IS RARE. HARVESTING MUSHROOMS WHILE STILL IN THEIR YOUNGER GROWTH STAGES WILL REDUCE THE OVERALL SPORE LOAD.
This block fruited very nicely, big, delicious mushrooms with thick stems!
This order included multiple fruiting blocks and came extremely quick! I chose to pay by cash and got a great discount with some awesome freebies to boot!! Just check out the pic. It speaks for itself on the lions mane since it’s the only one to fruit enough to show progress ;)
Showed intact and healthy!!!
Payed with MESH quick and easy!!!